Harbor House Publishers wanted to bring their business into the digital age. I have updated and rewritten 50 of their websites, hundreds of digital and web publications, and dozens of iOS and Android apps. In addition, I have handled all IT including management of a dozen Macs, a dozen PCs, MS Exchange email server, Linux web server, Linux file server, and a half dozen enterprise level printers.
Harbor House Publishers is a mid-sized but far reaching publisher of Maritime and commerce publications in addition to books, maps, and other periodicals. I have worked with them for over three years on everything from websites, to mobile apps, to server and email infrastructure, to security.
My primary tasks as Technology Director for Harbor House include.
- Manage 50 plus websites.
- Manage 40 plus iOS apps.
- Manage all technology infrastructure including: Exchange email server, LAMP web server, Linux file server, 10 Mac workstations, 10 Windows workstations, 6 enterprise level printers.
- Design and develop news websites, apps, and internal tools like CRM and blast email systems I custom built in PHP/MySQL/HTML/CSS/jQuery.
Sometimes the best features are unseen.
- The site uses recursion and calculus to predict where a scroll will leave the user to create scroll effects and do “predictive image lazy loading” without having to track the scroll every pixel and bog down the system. To my knowledge this is the only system that uses this kind of advanced predictive algorithm to AJAX load images just before they are needed. (I got bored one evening…)
- The main site at harborhouse.com, and many of its subordinate sales sites like harborhouse.com/boyne, all use my own home cooked military grade hardened instances of WordPress featuring Google reCAPTCHA throughout, BCRYPT SSL key pair protection, and advanced security on the login and SSH ports of my own devising based on modrewrite and iptables, in addition to the best security WordPress plugins available.
- Client Harbor House Publishers, Inc.
- Date January 2014
- Live Preview www.harborhouse.com